Sunday, March 17, 2013

Easy, Homemade, Sugar-Free Apple Sauce

Looking for a tasty, homemade treat? This Sugar-Free Apple Sauce recipe was a big hit with my family.

If you have ever gone to Costco to buy their produce, you will see that it usually comes in very large quantities (the joys of Costco). My family bought the container of 12 apples, thinking we would go through them all. At the end of the week, the apples were not getting eaten fast enough so I decided to make something with them. I thought about Apple Crisp Pie, but I didn't have a lot of time to make that (I also don't know how).

Something that I really love to eat as a snack is Sugar-Free Apple Sauce. This simple recipe for Homemade Sugar-Free Apple Sauce turned out great! Usually, my family doesn't like to eat the healthy foods I make, but this was a top favorite!

Homemade Sugar-Free Apple Sauce

Ingredients

  • 5 apples (I used Gala)
  • 1/2 cup of water (I prefer filtered)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Salt OR 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice (I used salt as I did not have any lemon juice)
  •       *The lemon juice prevents the apples from turning brown, same with the salt
  • 1 Tablespoon of Honey
  • 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon
Directions
  • In a large skillet, pour the water and lemon juice, or salt *(I used a large pot, next time I will use a skillet because my pot was way to large and they took longer to soften).
  • Peel, core, and chop up the apples into bite sized pieces and place them into the skillet along with the water and lemon/salt mixture.
  • Heat the apples until the water comes to a boil. Then cover the skillet, and reduce to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the apples are tender enough to be stabbed easily with a fork.
  • Remove from heat and add honey and cinnamon

  • Mash with a potato masher until you have the consistency that you like. 

*If you don't mind chunky apple sauce, the texture is surprisingly really great like this! My brother said it reminded him of apple pie (without the crust of course).


*My apples took awhile to smash, so I just ended up putting them into my blender and blending until they were completely smooth.


*There is no sugar needed because the apples, cinnamon, and honey make it just right.

Nutrition Facts:
  • 5 Fresh, medium Gala apples, 80 calories each: 450 calories
  • 1 Tablespoon of Honey: 63 calories
  • 0 calories from the salt, 7 calories from lemon juice
  • Around 6 calories from the cinnamon
Total Calories for the Entire Recipe: 520
  • Sugars: 34 grams (this is from 1 apple and 1 Tablespoon of honey. There is more sugar if you eat the whole thing. From all 5 apples, there would be 85 total grams of sugar).
  • Potassium: 10 milligrams (from the honey)
*I added about 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon and I thought it was a lot. It ended up being cinnamon apple sauce, which was still really tasty!

My favorite thing about making this was that it was really easy, quick, and simple! I was surprised at how sweet it was with no sugar added like many other recipes call for.

Try it out! Let me know what you think!

Have a wonderful day!

-Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment